Saturday, August 21, 2010

Gnarnia




So I took a look at Gnarnia today. There are two outstanding boulders. The overhung boulder with the landing built is pretty sweet. I think there is room for one more line. The other is the first boulder you come to up the hill. The ROCK IS SWEET. I'm not real sure why but i think this is a great boulder. I didn't get on any of the lines but I am excited to head back (in 17 months!)...
As an area it is not a destination just due to the lack of problems. It is well worth the short hike up the hill and I would recommend stopping if you are any where in the area.
I want to Thank the guys over at weekendbouldering again for finding the area but most importantly for sharing it. As a community we are way to stingy and worried about someone eles stealing our lines. I do think that hey you took the time to find an area or clean a line you should have some resepectable to time to send but far to often this leads to a lack of sharing of cool spots. I now an area south of us was recently chipped becasue it was shared but this is the exception and not the rule.

Anyway a bit of a rant there... here are a couple of pics.

This is just a super good looking boulder to me.






The Big Guy with a great platform (thank again to the guys over at weekendbouldering).
I also talked to the owner of the marina and he was very very nice. Please stop in and ask where you should park and let him know how much we appreciate the access.
I'll try to post up some more info and good directions soon.
Happy Sending!!

4 comments:

WeekendBouldering said...

Thanks for posting this up here! I was going to, but never found the time. If you want information on the lines, I made a rough guide to the area. There are about 30 or so problems so far.

Hopefully that number can increase.

I'd like to call attention to the huge boulder in the gully to the left of the boulder in the first picture, it needs cleaning. This will hold 3-5 more lines, for sure.

Anonymous said...

You are getting lame in your old age. Old SiPpY would never post such a weak-ass post...

ThE kId

Quinn said...

Hey, I was wondering if anyone knew what the line is on the top photo that the person (me) is brushing? the slab one starting on the big fin, I was trying it when he was taking that picture and it was really fun, just wanted to see if it was something already done or not. Thanks

WeekendBouldering said...

Starting from the big undercling flake and moving up on increasingly thin crimps is a line already done called Vanilla Slice - V5/6.

It's a lot easier if you're taller.

There's also a line from that undercling face into the arete that hasn't been done.

The arete itself is a super high quality V4.